October 29, 2011

Draw String Pouch 'Rondo' Tutorial

I have been in a bit of a romantic mood today and I had this fabric sitting on my desk for ages...so I decided to make something out of it - finally - and share it with you. Its nothing special really, but it will soon hold something special, because it will serve as a gift bag for my friend's birthday present.

I am not a big fan of wrapping paper - very prone to paper cuts *ouch* and my origami skills are less than bad... so this year all my Christmas presents will be given a fabric wrap. I also have saved some burlap for the big presents my little boy will receive - it'll be an eco-friendly Christmas this year, at least when it comes to the wrapping.

So, here is the pouch. My friends present is still in the shop :D 
I hope you enjoy this little walk-through and enjoy giving presents as much as I do with your bag!





Draw String Pouch 'Rondo' Tutorial

Here is what you'll need:

• 2 x  5,5" diameter circles for the bottom of the bag

• 2x  8" by 16 3/4" (1 outer fabric and 1 lining)

• 1x 8" by 16 3/4" fusible interfacing

2x 7,5" by 1" of the interior fabric for the ribbon

1x string (velvet)

Lets get going:

1. Cut your fabric and iron the fusible interfacing onto the back of your exterior fabric.



2. Pin the circles onto your fabric with right sides facing.



3. Sew the bottom close using a 1/4" seam allowance for the outer fabric bag and a 3/4" seam allowance for the inner fabric bag.

4. Pin the side of the outer fabric first and (top)stitch close.


5. Pin the interior bag, making sure the top measures the same as the exterior bag. By using two different seam allowances in step 3, the size of the bag has been reduced to give it a nice fit, but the tops must still match!



6. Turn the liner bag wrong side out. Place the exterior bag with the right side into the liner bag - in other words... make sure the right sides are facing. Also make sure the seams are aligned!!

7. Pin the tops together and sew close.


8. Open the liner bag slightly with a seam ripper and carefully turn the bag inside out.


9. Tuck the open seams back in, pin seams and sew close.



10. Lets move on to the ribbon... cut 2 pieces of the interior fabric measuring 7 1/2" x 1". Iron the seams down to make it easier for sewing.



11. Pin the ribbons 1 1/2" below the top edge. Tuck the seams of the short sides under, leaving two gaps open where the ribbons meet.



12. Using a safety pin, draw your little ribbon through - one on each side, going around a full circle.
Knot the ends together and you're done!


FERTIG!





Enjoy!
Tweet Tweet

4 comments:

  1. this is great!!!! thanks so much for sharing. I'm going to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank's for the tute, this is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this bag! I'm making it right now. But I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the two 7.5" ribbons sewn to the outside of the bag. Do the ribbons meet we're they join on both sides? Could you use just one 15" ribbon sewn to the outside? My email is gnpkrupp@netzero.net if you are able to help answer my question. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you so much for this Heidi. I've started to make a bag from a piece of patchwork that I have quilted and needed a few instructions to make sure I didn't mess it up. Yours are the first instructions I've found for a lined round base bag which is just what I needed and really perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to comment on my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...